A five-year-old girl and her nine-month-old brother were this morning burned to death in their beds. Jawuharah Namiiro and Mohammed Kizito were burned when their house in Mutuba Gardens in Masaka Town caught fire at about 6:30 a.m. Their mother, Josephine Nakitto, was out of the house at time. She had gone to a shop in the neighborhood to find an early meal to feed her family. Witnesses said that they saw smoke coming out of the house but they couldn't rescue the children because the intensity of the fire. Josephine Nakitto says she called the fire brigade, pleading with them to save her children, but it was too late. She said she was in disbelief at having lost her children and all her material possessions in the fire. The house is owned by a businessman called Magezi Ssitankya. Nakitto says the building hasn't had electricity for the past two years and she does not think the fire was caused by a short circuit. The Masaka chief fire officer, Richard Mudungu, says this is the second major fire in the two this year. Earlier in the year a school matron was killed saving her students from a fire at Namasenene Islamic Primary School.
Updated: 25 Sep, 09:1209:12