Somali Suicide Bombers Behind Kampala Attacks?

1391 Views Kampala, Uganda
There is much speculation in Kampala this morning as to who was behind the three bomb blasts that killed more than 50 people as they watched the final match of the football World Cup. So far no one has claimed responsibility for the bomb explosions at the Lugogo rugby grounds and the Ethiopian Village Restaurant in Kampala. The police have been careful not to speculate on the motive or the persons behind the attacks that were clearly coordinated to take place simultaneously. Despite all the unknowns, the police and intelligence organs say there are some things they can confirm. They say the bombs were much larger than those used in attacks by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) in Kampala in 1998 and 1999. They also say that the bombs were not grenades, but bigger, more sophisticated ammunition. A senior police intelligence officer at Lugogo, who asked for his identity to be protected, tells Uganda Radio Network that the security forces are investigating the possibility that one of the bombs at the rugby grounds was set off by a suicide bomber. The intelligence officer says this line of investigation is based on the discovery of head of a man, reportedly of Somali origin, lying about 50 meters away from his legs. The man's torso was completely blown to pieces. It is assumed that he was carrying the bomb around his chest when it exploded. The police are hesitant to link this to threats made last week by Al-Shabaab, the Somali Islamist group, that it would attack Uganda and Burundi for supporting an illegal government in Somalia. The leader of Al-Shabaab, Sheikh Moktar Ali Zubayr on Monday last week called for retaliatory attacks on the two countries for contributing forces to the African Union peacekeeping mission to Somalia (AMISOM). In the meantime, police have sealed off the bomb site at Lugogo. Only the bodies of easily identifiable foreign nationals have been removed from the scene. The bodies of Ugandans killed in the attack are still lying exactly as they were when the bomb went off. The police are instructing relatives of the dead to wait for their bodies at Mulago Hospital Mortuary and the City Mortuary. They say the entrance to the scene is being limited to preserve the forensic investigation, which is expected to continue through to tomorrow.