Police Tightens Security Ahead of Besigye's Consultative Meeting In Jinja Top story


In short
According to Mugizi, they only received the letter on the consultative meeting on Wednesday.

There is tight security in and around Kakindu stadium in Jinja Town ahead of the scheduled consultative meetings of Dr. Kizza Besigye, the Forum for Democratic Change-FDC presidential candidate. Besigye is expected to hold a consultative meeting at Kakindu stadium to popularize his presidential bid.

According to jinja FDC officials, the rally is expected to kick off at midday this afternoon. By the time of filing this story, the FDC supporters had not yet convened in Kakindu stadium. Although Besigye is nowhere to be seen in Jinja, police has deployed strategically at all major entry points to Kakindu Community Centre. Our reporter saw heavily armed police personnel at Kiira and Nalubaale dams, the major entry point to Jinja Town.

There is also heavy deployment of both plain clothed and uniformed officers and patrol vehicles at Kakindu Stadium, the main venue of the consultative meeting. Felix Mugizi, the Jinja District Police Commander says they swung into action to block the meeting since the FDC officials didn't notify police about the event within 15 days a stipulated in the Public Order Management Act (POMA). 

According to Mugizi, they only received the letter on the consultative meeting on Wednesday. However, the FDC officials insist their planned consultative meetings are lawful. Abubaker Maganda, the Jinja District FDC Chairman says it is unfair to block their presidential candidate from meeting party members to explain his presidential aspirations.


Edith Tibenkana, a pro-Besigye mobiliser says their consultative meetings will go on as planned despite the heavy Police deployment.

//Cue in "bad arrangement for…"
Cue out "…is our country."//
It is not clear, whether the FDC officials in Jinja will proceed with the planned meeting without Besigye. By the time of filing this story, Besigye had been picked by police and taken to Nagala Police Station. Police deployed at Besigye's home in Kasangati on Wednesday evening to block him from leaving.