Museveni's Cranes Offer Deducted From NCS Account - Minister Top story

1776 Views Kampala, Uganda

In short
Sports minister Charles Bakkabulindi has said that the 384 million shillings offered by President Yoweri Museveni last year to facilitate the Cranes travel to Morocco was deducted from the National Council of Sports (NCS) account. In August last year, President Museveni facilitated the Uganda Cranes with 384 million shillings to take care of training, tickets, allowances and accommodation ahead of their 2015 World Cup qualifier against Senegal.

Sports minister Charles Bakkabulindi has said that the 384 million shillings offered by President Yoweri Museveni last year to facilitate the Cranes travel to Morocco was deducted from the National Council of Sports (NCS) account.
 
Bakkabulindi on Monday confirmed to URN on phone that the deduction was a mistake by officials in the Ministry who were not meant to deduct this money from the NCS vote. The Minister said the deduction had caused NCS lots of issues in running their programs.
 
In August last year, President Museveni facilitated the Uganda Cranes with 384 million shillings to take care of training, tickets, allowances and accommodation ahead of their 2015 World Cup qualifier against Senegal. The money was spent to facilitate the Cranes’s travel to Morocco for the game. The game which the Cranes lost 1-0 was played in the neutral ground in Marrakech, Morrocco since Fifa had banned the usage of stadiums in Senegal.
 
Bakkabulindi said the money from the President was expected to come from another vote, but the people who process the money were slow to act and it ended up being deducted from NCS.
 
Nicholas Muramagi, the NCS Assistant Secretary General who is acting in the absence of the secretary general Jasaper Aligawesa, also confirmed that it was true, but did not want to disclose more details.
 
Insiders in NCS who did not want to be mentioned also told URN that the deduction seriously affected NCS’s operations in supporting some sporting disciplines and also in servicing a loan that they are using to construct the new office block at Lugogo.
 
But when contacted, the President’s Principal Private Secretary, Mary Amajo said she was not aware of that development and added that no one had complained.