Mengo Hospital Preserves First Medical Ward for Posterity

Comments 406 Views Kampala, Uganda
The front view of St Luke and St Katherine wards at Mengo Hospital completed in 1904. David Rupiny

The front view of St Luke and St Katherine wards at Mengo Hospital completed in 1904. Login to license this image from 1$.

In short
The hospital located on Namirembe Hill, west of Kampala, was founded by Dr Albert Cook in 1897, initially under a tree. Its first structure was a reed wall and grass thatched structure, which was twice hit by lightning prompting Dr Cook to build one of the first ever modern buildings in east and central Africa in 1904.

 

IP: 54.198.147.221. Referrer: . FirstClickFree: 0. Clicks by IP: ?. Clicks by cookie: ?.