Fire Guts 15 Houses in Jinja

1663 Views Jinja, Uganda

In short
15 houses were destroyed by the fire which started at 3:00 am. It is alleged the fire was caused by a charcoal stove that was left burning throughout the night.

Workers of CPC Freight Services, in Jinja Municipality have been left homeless after their houses were gutted by fire.


15 houses were destroyed by the fire which started at 3:00 am. It is alleged the fire was caused by a charcoal stove that was left burning throughout the night.


Ivan Musisi, a resident says that they called police service lines which went unanswered for close to 30 minutes.

Musisi adds that when they went to the police, they were told that the fire fighting vehicles needed repairs.

//cue in: "police…

Cue out…nnamu,". 

Musa Mwidhu, another resident states that the fire brigade arrived when most of the property had perished in the fire. 

//cue in: "ngeze…

Cue out…tekyikyagasa,". 

Ibrahim Kisadha also says that police should be provided with more fire fighting equipment to manage fire outbreaks other than relying on factories which in most cases undergo long processes before extending aid to the public.


//cue in: "nbiliza…

Cue out…byona byona,".


Meanwhile Collins Agaba, the Kiira regional fire officer says that fire fighting vehicles are undergoing periodic maintenance and will be ready by Monday.



He, however, denies reports of ignoring emergency calls in case of fire outbreaks.


"Our fire fighting vehicle is always parked at the station, with a full tank of water and whenever a call for help comes in, we rush to the scene and also contact other partners from factories to boost the rescue mission, "he says.