1,400 Ugandans Starving in South Sudan

1109 Views

In short
Patrick Lumumba, the LC III Chairman Bardege Division in Gulu Municipality told journalists on Friday that he received information about the condition of the Ugandans from James Okello, a teacher who has been working in Torit

About 1,350 Ugandan nationals still trapped in South Sudan are starving. Patrick Lumumba, the LC III Chairman Bardege Division in Gulu Municipality told journalists on Friday that he received information about the condition of the Ugandans from James Okello, a teacher who has been working in Torit. According to Lumumba, Okello told him there are about 550 Ugandans trapped in Torit and another 800 in Marqui County. 

He says the Ugandans are currently leaving in the bush waiting for the last message from the government of Uganda before they trek for fear of being killed by armed South Southern gunmen. "The number of people still in South Sudan could double those evacuated or registered in the last two days. They are living in the bush with no food and many are suffering from malaria. There is no medicine and only few small vehicles of South Sudanese can be seen fleeing their country," says Lumumba.
 
 
Adding that, "Those evacuated were majorly those within and near Juba but there are many Ugandans scattered in different parts of South Sudan who are far from Juba. They were left out since there was violence and it was practically difficult to make it to Juba to beat the evacuation deadline." He says much as it is expensive to evacuate nationals; it is the responsibility of government to protect its citizens both within and outside the country. 

Captain Santo Okot Lapolo, the Gulu Resident District Commissioner, shares the same concerns on the plight of Ugandans still trapped in South Sudan. He however, cautions the Ugandans no to attempt to foot to Uganda, saying arrangements are underway to coordinate with government to conduct another evacuation mission. At least 21,000 civilians were evacuated by Uganda People's Defense Forces-UPDF last week.

Lt. Hussein Kato, the spokesperson of the evacuation mission told URN that they had completed their mission and would be on standby for new instruction from their commander in chief. President, Yoweri Museveni ordered the evacuation mission when fighting broke out in the South Sudan capital, Juba on July 07 between forces loyal to president, Salva Kiir and first vice president, Riek Machar.
 
 
However, the two leaders announced a unilateral ceasefire, which ushered in relative calm.